One of my young friends from church who is painting and re-decorating his room asked me if I would paint the United Methodist cross and flame on his wall for him. It only took me a couple of hours; some of the other kiddos at his house commented how they would like to have me paint something on their wall... which got me thinking...
Heifer International is my favorite charity. As much as I love organizations that try to protect wildlife and the environment, I believe if we fail to address the needs of an ever-increasing population, trying to limit how they use their land and their natural resources is futile. That's why I like Heifer so much. The gift of livestock has the power to change someone's life ~ it can be the beginning of financial independence for a family living in poverty. Plus ~ well ~ of course I just LOVE the idea of giving someone an animal! For the last two years my family has donated a goat to Heifer in BratB's family's name for Christmas ~ What gift is more wonderful than that? :)
$1000 buys a Milk Menagerie ~ "One quality bred heifer, two goats, and a water buffalo ~ four milk-producing animals for hardworking families hoping to provide a better life for their children. With training for recipient families, each animal in the menagerie will produce gallons and gallons of wonderful life-sustaining milk. As the families pass the gift of offspring to neighbors in need over time a Milk Menagerie will end hunger and despair one child, one family, one village at a time." This is from the Heifer International website; I've put a link to their website in the right margin if you want to check them out.
So I think I'll take on these projects for the kids in my extra time and ask for a time-appropriate gift to Heifer. It would be fun for me, I'll get to paint a lot of different things, strengthen the bonds I already have with these kids, and we all get to donate to a wonderful cause. I'm going to email the kids my offer and go from there. How cool will that be?? I'll keep ya posted... Love, RED

4 comments:
Well, if you end up doing something giant and need an assistant, I will be home in a few days!!
See? This is one of the many reasons why I love you! Your generous spirit! We talked about this already, and I think it's a wonderful idea! And I think you're a wonderful person for thinking of it! The Universe needs more people like you!
Cool! I am a huge Heifer fan. Alisha and I do most of our Christmas shopping there. I am not sure everyone on our list appreciates getting baby chicks (which they don't actually really get) but we feel much better making life better for someone than buying more junk!
Thanks Yall! I already have my next project lined up... can't wait!
Post a Comment