Wednesday, April 23, 2008

HIDDEN LIVES




We need to learn the deep and enduring value of the hidden life.

When I think of hidden lives, I think of mothers of small children. I think of compassionate men and women that are caring for elderly parents. I think of highly capable and qualified individuals , who, it seems, for the time being, are completely useless. I think of students still in the classroom, preparing, preparing, preparing. It's the hidden life ~ the life where lasting lessons are learned.


Charles R. Swindoll

~ from "Bedside Blessings"
a daily devotional Ma gave me for Christmas 2006 ~


This has been running through my mind since I read it the night before last. The down and dirty work of caring for those who can't care for themselves, facilitating the lives of others from behind the scenes, the weathering of illness, tragedy, and life-altering changes, as well as the shoring up and preparation for future challenges ~ these often thankless jobs are every bit as important as the ones which our society validates and pays you for! If you know what this is all about my hat is off to you; Keep up your good work and your sincere efforts will be rewarded. That much I know...



"ALL YOU NEED IS EVERYTHING YOU'VE GOT"



I don't know who said that but I cut it out of a magazine years ago and have heard it in my head many times since. Simple AND true! Love, RED


4 comments:

Blogger Barbie said...

WELL, truer words were never spoken. I've often wondered, when I'm out in the world going about my errands, and I see people going about their errands...I wonder what their lives are like. What are they doing today? What brought them to the store on the same day and time as I'm there? And in traffic...where are all these people going? Are they going home to a loving family? Going home to a situation they wish they could change, but can't for some reason? Going to work, which they dread? Or love? Meeting an old friend? Having an affair? WHAT? Well, I'll never know. All of their lives are hidden to me...but you can bet dollars to donuts that some of them are sleep-deprived because they got up 4 times with their new baby. Or they're buying ointments for their aging parents. I LOVE IT when I go to the commissary and see 50ish year old women shopping with their aged mothers or fathers. I always get choked up. They're asking them what kinds of soup they feel like this week...if they need more juice? The other day I was in line and there were 2 women...in their mid-70's I'd say...talking about the eating habits of their dead husbands. One said to the other, "I was lucky. Al wasn't a picky eater. He loved my cooking." I felt so blessed to overhear that conversation. That moment made me appreciate my own husband more. So now I've gone on and on...I just have one more thought. Have you ever been walking through Sears or some other department store that has a photo studio and seen a little kid all dressed up, going to get their picture taken? Some years ago I saw the cutest little boy...about 3 years old...in a light blue searsucker suit, holding his Mama's hand, going to get his picture taken. As we passed each other, I smiled at him and he smiled back. I thought to myself that the picture he takes today will be hanging in their home, and probably his grandparents or aunts and uncles or whomever. It may find its way into a photo album where, when that little boy is grown up and looking at the album with his wife, he remarks that he remembers that day. And I SAW HIM ON THAT DAY. Our lives intersected for a split second, we smiled at each other, and that picture will become part of his family's history. I wonder whatever happened to that little boy? Where and who is he now? Who will he become? I may never know! I know that your blog is giving props to people who work behind the scenes, who help others, the "unsung heroes" but my brain put a different spin on it! I find it fascinating that we all move about together, like bees in a hive...all working with and around eachother...but we know so few of eachother, really. I try, when I go through my day, to look people in the eye and smile at them when our paths cross. They may have had a rough night and that one instant when we connect as human beings--albeit strangers--might give them more fuel to go on. Heck, sometimes it's ME who has had the rough night! My point is, (and I do have one!) we can all learn from each other. We can't all be CEOs of companies or celebraties or heralded for curing a disease. But we all have a lesson to learn from each other...something to give each other...even if it's only a smile!

Thank you for your blog! How did my comment get to be longer than your installment?? Oh, quite sorry, then. love love love you! bratbie

RED said...

Are you kidding? I LOVE that you like to ponder such things and that you make the time to share your own observations. Because, if you subtract our long and illustrious history of just that, what are you left with? Yes! Smiling strangers! :)

Marnie-San said...

OK, when did Barbie start blogging?
I've never met her but I know that she has a heart of gold. I needed to read this blog. Love the quote "All you need is all you've got". Red, I called you the other day about what is going on and this definitely puts things into perspective; I needed to hear it. I have often wondered if my smile or whatever can help anyone. I told someone here on base in Japan that I am the "neighborhood rooster" when walking the kids to school; I say hello to everyone and hope I can make a difference while we live our lives here in this groundhog day. This place with its Peyton's Place mentality can get very difficult and escaping the Navy isn't the easiest thing to do... So, I love Barbie and I don't even know her! Red, I love my book too! Going to bed now & hope all is well.

RED said...

Well that ONLY MAKES SENSE! You two have heard so much about each other, know so many of the same people, have so many of the same WONDERFUL traits (maybe even an enemy or two (OMG LOL) :) One of these days we will all get together and have some Fat Tire, Lone Star, red wine, chorizo (let's not forget the CHIPS!) and that will be one fine day! BFFs ~ LOVE YOU BOTH!!!!!