Friday, April 4, 2008

YO DAWG!




I'd like a different dog
For every kind of weather -
A narrow greyhound for a fog,
A wolfhound strange and white,
With a tail like a silver feather
To run with in the night,
When snow is still and winter stars are bright.

In the fall I'd like to see
In answer to my whistle,
A golden spaniel look at me.
But best of all for rain
A terrier, hairy as a thistle,
To trot with fine disdain
Beside me down the soaked, sweet smelling lane.

Dogs and Weather
Winifred Welles

What a week it's been! I found the time to take Tango out for a short ride this evening - how that saves my soul! Afterward, I sat out on the swing and just hung out with the dogs. It's common knowledge that all the different breeds of dogs were purposely bred to have their own talents and abilities, but I still sometimes am so amazed by how true their personalities and quirks are to their breeding! All three of my dogs are mixed breeds, but still, they are all so like their dominant breeds.

Schatze is a dachshund mix. She digs. It is her passion; her obsession. She cocks her head and, apparently, hears goings-on beneath the surface of the earth. She has multiple holes, tunnels, and holes connected to tunnels under construction in parts of the yard at any given time. She likes to spend time in the house, but when it's time to go out she races straight out to her "work zones" to check things out! When I had to have some work done on the septic system a year or so ago, she supervised. She stayed clear of the heavy machinery, but remained close enough to keep tabs on the progress being made. She was so impressed with the speed and ease with which the backhoe did it's work; she stood on the mounds of dirt and her eyes gleamed with excitement! I could see the little wheels in her brain spinning; it was as though she was imagining what great work she could accomplish if she could only control that machine! (Ah~my kingdom for thumbs...Oh and legs longer than four inches:) She loves her kibble and I have to watch her weight, but her hard work in the field helps to keep her waistline in check! Big downside: she always has dirty paws! Our beloved MeeHa brought her home to us as a gift, knowing we were looking for a small female mixed-breed dog (primary stipulation - CUTE) and she fits the bill perfectly! I can live with the digging (like I have a choice!). Doxie's were born to dig! That's how they roll!

Tim is a border collie mix. He's got the looks of a border collie, but lacks some of the keenness they all exhibit. He's a little dorky. I'm not sure what he's mixed with but his big round head makes me think he might be part Lab. He's obsessed with the horses and the goats and all they do. He's about as interested in digging as Schatze is in the big animals; as in not at all! He's not fascinated by soil or what lurks beneath it; he has livestock to watch! He also likes to hang out inside a bit, but is always eager to get back outside to his real job. He's a workaholic! He's also a beautiful athlete - fast, nimble, and superbly toned. He can jump anything. Or almost anything! He's Cub's favorite and sleeps in his room at night. You'd be hard-pressed to find a better all-around good dog!

Lolly is a poodle mix. She's something else! I know poodles are supposed to be really smart so I'm just thinking she's such a nut because she's still a puppy. She's clueless when it comes to digging or livestock, but will live through the other two vicariously now and again and get all up-in-arms and excited about their projects; just to lose interest and collect sticks to chew which she then leaves in untidy piles around the yard. That's okay with me, because I'm usually the one who collects the sticks before mowing (mesquite drop alot of sticks). I guess her hobby is sticks; that and jumping up and down at the back door barking like a soprano warming up her vocal chords. Really, some of the sounds she can make are amazing - I swear one night she actually sang "do - rey - mi"! AND she's quite the acrobat - I know poodles are often circus dogs because of their acrobatic prowess; that and their supposed intelligence (!). Again, I'm hoping as she matures we will see more of that. So far she's more of a clown :) But we love her and she's been a happy addition to our household!

I've had a couple of other dogs and also have noticed how much their personalities resembled the descriptions in the breed books. I guess it shouldn't be so surprising - after all - it's in their blood! They are who they are for better or worse! How 'bout your dogs? Do you see it too? Love, RED

2 comments:

Blogger Barbie said...

I can't wait to meet Lolly ("Lolly Lolly, get your adverbs here!" I can't help but sing the rest of that in my head when I say her name!) Yes, I know just what you mean about dogs. Our 3 certainly have their own personalities! Big, sweet, athletic, PERFECT Nadean...Big, dumb, goofy, SWEET Zeb, and the small but ever-watchful ruler of the roost, Casey. They are one of the greatest joys of my life! I never tire of watching their interactions with each other, the cats and whatever creature ambles into/past our yard. They are good friends...like you! love you bratb

Sabie said...

Ohhh yes! The only thing with Jewel is that she is so mixed that it can be difficult to even tell what she resembles most.