Wednesday, February 6, 2008
GIVIN' IT UP
Lent is a time to search out the blocks in our lives... the habits, thoughts, or patterns that weigh us down and deaden our hearts. In that sense, Lent is a heavy season. But it is also a time to choose one of those deadening blocks and to clear it gently away, allowing natural love to flow back and forth again between ourselves and God. Lent is an invitation to self-examination, not as an end in itself, but as a means to a fuller life.
Sarah Parsons
from "for Lent, I Gave up Being Good"
Last year was the first time I ever gave anything up for Lent, as my first twenty years I went to a church that did not observe that tradition and the second twenty years of my life I didn't go to church. It was new for me; I understood the concept mostly as my older son explained it to me. He was going through a Confirmation class at church where they were encouraged to give up, or take something on, for Lent. I liked the idea and thought I should do it too, to lend moral support. He gave up soft drinks; I gave up television and sweets. I worked at a BAKERY at the time, so that was an AMBITIOUS choice! The first couple of days at the bakery were not too hard, though I was tempted - especially when I had to sit down and decorate cookies (lots of cookies!)...the SMELL! But by four days in, I had become immune. It had become as normal for me not to browse while at work as it had previously been TO browse (I hope no one from the health department is reading this!).
Anyway... TV proved trickier. I don't watch but two shows regularly so I didn't think it would be much of a challenge. I just kinda threw it in for extra credit! It was a challenge though, and it took three weeks for me to quit reaching for the remote control, which helped me become aware of how I USE television. I don't plan to sit down and catch a favorite show; I collapse on the couch and turn it on when I am tired, bored, or want to "zone out". I have to say, far more than giving up the sweets, giving up the TV added to the day-to-day quality of my life. For one thing, my parlor and my little red couch stayed neat and tidy. I totally cleaned the kitchen every night (no pans left soaking) and made my coffee for the next morning. I READ. I read alot! I lingered outside after feeding the animals to watch night fall. I noticed the moon and stars. I felt grateful. I went to bed on time. I didn't miss having the world in my living room; my day-to-day life felt like a sabbatical!
Tonight I will attend the Ash Wednesday service. I 've already decided that the TV is history but I haven't decided on my extra credit! Sweets seem a little too easy since I don't work at the bakery anymore. Meat? Beer? Soft drinks? The computer? Well... I'll think about it and get back to you ! Love, RED
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Today is a bit over two weeks into THIS year's season of Lent. As much good as I had to say about having the TV off all week, I should point out that, on the other hand, I pretty much walk around in a fog as to the news of the day and current events... Please call me if anything BIG happens! :)
Post a Comment