Monday, February 18, 2008

BEING LOLLY




No one will invent and no one ever did
A happier pair than a dog and a kid.
For doubt can't bedim or worry befog
The gay zestful way of a kid and a dog.


Athrob with adventure, their hearts beat as one,
Their pulses resurge with the rhythm of fun.
They swing into action as impulse may bid,
"Today is the day" for a dog and a kid.


Oh God, clear the pathway along which they jog
And smooth out the bumps for a kid and his dog.
And make of the world that they wander amid
A truly great place for a dog and a kid.


Berton Braley



We decided on the name "Lolly" for the new pup. I liked Poppy (tho we used to have a feline Poppy and a friend (you know who you are!) told me that it's weird to re-use the name); my older son wanted Lola ( to me Lola does not suit her; too sophisticated) - Lolly is the perfect compromise. Remember the funny paper character Lolly from way back when? She somehow popped into my mind and we all thought the name suited our girl! She's settling in and becoming more used to things. She spent alot of time alone in a room in her previous home and she's got some separation anxiety issues. The first couple of days when put outside she would just stand at the back door watching us and whining. She wouldn't even go in the yard to take care of business! Yesterday we were gone a good part of the day so she had to spend quite a while out back with the other two. I was a little nervous about leaving her but, as it turns out, it was good for her. She must have left the door eventually and actually went out into the yard to have some fun. When we got back home I went out to sit for a bit and after she calmed down she plopped down and started chewing a stick. I'm sure she learned that from our border collie. He's a big stick chewer when he takes a break from his real job, which is watching the goats. I actually hope she gets more being-a-dog lessons from him than our daschund mix because HER job is endless digging, tunneling and escavating! Really, one dog with this occupation is enough for me!


I caught part of "The Dog Whisperer" yesterday. I really like Cesar and love his way of thinking. Lolly is the first dog I've had in a "training" state since his show started. I've been using the "TSSSst!" with the finger correction for Lolly's nervous barking and I'm pretty impressed with how quickly it's working. First I tell her "Enough!" and today at least twice she stopped at the word before I had to give the correction. Like he says, it's a correction dogs don't seem to take very personally. They quit the behavior, you quit the TSSSsting and everyone's happy. I really enjoy his show and if I could I would love to have the kind of set-up he has for his animals... but of course I wouldn't just take dogs. I'd adopt unloved, unwanted, unruly goats too! Not that I have a clue about correcting their behavior...I somehow doubt ttsssting would have much of an effect on a goat!


Anyway! Lolly is learning to be Lolly and we couldn't be more enamored of her! This week is going to be a steeplechase so depending on my time management skills, I may be a little slow to post on the goings on for the next few days. I hope your week will be wonderful and perhaps a wee bit less busy than mine! Love, RED

2 comments:

Sabie said...

I have to admit, it would be a little strange to have another Poppy around. Lolly is an absolutely adorable name though!!

RED said...

Yeah... I guess there can only be one Pops... But you are gonna LOVE Lolly!