I wrote a letter to you my friend
So many letters that I never send
I think about you at the days end
The time that we had
I laughed in my bed
The stupid things you said -
We were two birds in Paradise
When I was a little girl
With clay horses and lambs on the shelf
I caught frogs in ditches, listened for elves
My friends and I had a world unto ourselves
No grownup could find us when we
Made our plans so secretly
To run away and fly to be
With the two birds of paradise
from Birds Of Paradise, the Pretenders
Today I put the final touches on and delivered the painting I worked on last week (affectionately called the Dodibop (for my friend Dodi plus Bird Of Paradise)) She was really happy and she was surprised at its size (40" by 48"). I'm pleased with it too. I came up with an image after looking through hundreds of pictures on Google Image search (which I cannot live without), never even thinking I'd find an actual plant in bloom here in February. But one was; SBomb drove me over to see it last week, and in just the nick of time because I was having a hard time understanding the blue part of the flower (the stamen, I think). Seeing the real thing helped a great deal. It also revealed a few inaccuracies in my painting, but so be it. Every time I paint without the real thing for reference I swear I won't do it again because I always end up having to guess at some detail; a shadow, a hue, a texture; it never fails! But I always manage to find myself in the same position again...
Those who realize their folly are not true fools. Chuang tzu, Works, 400 BC
So there's hope for me! :) Love, RED

1 comment:
DANG GIRL! That is one beautiful painting! Am I surprised? NO! OK, so when I grow up and we build the dream house, will you walk with me around the property in spring time until we find a nice spot with lots of wildflowers that you can make a painting of for our mantel? And can I learn how to write sentences that don't run on? How about parenthesis? NO! That's just for conversations!! That way you don't have to paint something that you can't see...because you'll be there. In fact, why don't you bring an easel and your paints...and I'll bring lunch and some wine and we'll just make an afternoon of it? Of course, with enough wine, we could make an afternoon AND an evening of it! I can just see the look on Scott's face--a slight grin and eyes rolled to the heavens--in finding us drunk in some pasture somewhere, with a half-painted painting, just laughing and laughing and not able to find our way back to the house! Sounds like a plan!! love you
Post a Comment