
I like to see a thunderstorm,
A dunder storm,
A blunder storm,
I like to see it,
Black and slow
Come stumbling down the hill.
I like to hear a thunderstorm,
A plunder storm,
A wonder storm,
Roar loudly
At our little house
And shake the window sills.
Elizabeth Coatsworth
Thunderstorm warning, tornado warning, locally heavy downpours with possible hail - that's today's forcast so today's track meet has been cancelled. I've yet to see any big weather, but the radar shows it's been all around, just not in my neck of the woods. I'm disappointed; I love thunderstorms! Or, up to a point, I should say. They can be too close and intense for comfort, rattling the walls and sending Tim (the border collie) diving under the bed. He doesn't like them at all! Plus hail is never, never, ever good; especially if you have outside animals. (not to mention cars, windows, patios, plants, etc!) So it's not all bad that we missed the excitement. We could use the rain though (the Top 2 most stated weather comment in South Texas (except last summer!) right after the Number 1"Dang, it's hot!! (the "dang" is optional; feel free to substitute a more forceful exclamation :)...) Oh well, always too much or not enough. I guess that's why people have been talking about the weather since... well, you know... people have ALWAYS talked about the weather!
I lived in Central California for the better part of fourteen years. We rarely, rarely, had the dramatic weather we have down here. I remember maybe three real thunderstorms during the time I lived there. That was one of the things I really missed about home! When we were planning to move back to South Texas I would talk to the boys about the things that would be different here; things they would have to get used to, things they would miss, and all the things they had to look forward to. I told them all about South Texas' dramatic weather; and the thunderstorms, I told them, they wouldn't believe until they witnessed them! About a month after we got here they experienced their first "doozy" of a storm while at camp. I wasn't there to reassure them; the seventeen year old counselor was terrified, the winds hit 50 mph, there was lightening all around, and the screen door blew off their cabin. Chico (my youngest) said he thought they were probably gonna die! Maybe that was a little TOO dramatic! - they're best when they're scary enough to make you wince or jump but not so much that you fear for your life!
Anyway, I'm staying inside and cozy just in case! Instead of chips and cold sandwiches at the track meet, I think we'll have toasty, bubbly, cheesy sandwiches with a tossed salad. Maybe even a game of Yahtzee for dessert! You stay warm and dry too! Love, RED

7 comments:
We didn't get any tundertorms up here, but it snowed this morning! I still can't believe it.
WOW! WHERE was that picture taken? It took my breath away! And yes, I know what you mean about the good ol' weather in South Texas. There is NOTHING like a big "gully washer" as my Dad used to call them to make you right with the world. Now, wouldn't it just be so nice if there was one while we're there for Spring Break and you and I are together to enjoy it? That would be sweet! love you!
i remember skies like that when i lived in houston. i remember one spring driving from austin to houston, as i drove east the sky got darker and darker and there was literally a line: good weather/bad weather and when i crossed tha line, whoo knelly... it was nasy.
Ok Yall, I don't want to admit it but (sfter dissing Ca's boring weather)that actually was taken out my front door in Central Ca. For those of you who visited that house, you'll remember that line of palm trees fronting the dairy a mile north. It LOOKS like a Texas sky tho!!
I was scrolling along through your blog (just got over here to check it out) and, I thought, Gosh...sounds like she had the same weather I did on Thursday.
Then, I went back to your profile and "actually" read the rest of it and had that ah-hahhhhh moment! We DO share weather. LOL
LOL! Yes F*Wife,I found your blog too through our shared location! PS: Brat-B you would like this blog; she talks like you. Sweet!
Oh, BTW... I schooled the boys in Yahtzee! I'm just sayin... :)
Post a Comment