Monday, March 3, 2008

SMUGGLER'S BLUES


Just a short story tonight with an unrelated photo.. (what's happening to this blog, anyway?) The weekend before this one past I was on my way up to Houston with the a bunch of the girls from our youth group for a convention at the Toyota Center. We stopped en route for snacks at Prasek's (a famous Czech smokehouse) and I bought a big chunk of smoked swiss cheese and a half a pound of dried sausage. The cheese was for me; the sausage to take back to my boys who go nuts for any kind of meat snack (even that weird beef product that comes in a can like snuff... bizarre!). By the time we arrived at our hotel, checked in, found the rooms, and freshened up it was time to hit the streets; we were only a few blocks walk from the place. A few minutes later we arrived at the venue ( I just have to use that word; I never heard it before a couple of years ago and now it's a very popular word; everybody throws it around!) and the line to get in passed by a table where security was searching everyone's purses. I realized then that my pocket knife was in my purse; it hadn't even crossed my mind to take it out. Anyway, I sidled up and offered my purse for inspection. It wasn't the knife she pulled out, though, it was the sausage! "You can't take this in, Ma'am,"she tells me somewhat apologetically.

"No?" I ask hopefully...

"No. I'm sorry."

"Oh." Well, crap! That's almost seven dollars worth of sausage!

"You can consume it before you enter the building, if you'd like, Ma'am."

"Uh, no; I guess that's okay." (sadly)

"You're sure?"

"Yeah, I think I'll pass." :)

Anyway, this struck me as so funny. I mean maybe not seven dollars worth of funny, but still! The good news is she didn't check the zipper pocket, so my knife made it through and it's worth a lot more than seven dollars... like, maybe, twelve dollars or something like that! I got it at the fleamarket and it has a genuine simulated horn handle - very nice! Oh! And she missed my cheese. It was hiding flat under my wallet (not standing alone :) so I was able to enjoy it later before bedtime. I enjoyed it just a little extra as I sliced a bit off with my knife... knowing how close I had come to losing it; though I couldn't help but think of how perfect it would have been with a slice of dried sausage... Love, RED

3 comments:

Blogger Barbie said...

Oh, this cracked me up! I can just see your expression when the lady told you to check your sausage at the door..."No?" That's just funny!

Well, I'm glad the cheese was delicious, anyway. You know, we go right by that Czech place enroute to Port A...we'd GLADLY make a special stop for the boys. Just tell me what kind you want me to get and it's theirs!! love you!

Farmer*swife a/k/a Glass_Half_Full said...

I too carry a pocket knife and a mini-leatherman tool in my purse! LOL And, I love Praseks!

I would have stood there and ate the sausage, and I'm not really a big eater. But, $7.00???? And, it's really good!

RED said...

Farmer*swife you are truly a good Texas woman! I knife AND a leatherman (mini, STILL! SWEET!)