This much I need and little more...
A sturdy tree beside my door
To teach me fortitude through all
The winds that rise, the snows that fall;
And then, whatever else man hath,
A lovely rose beside the path
To teach me beauty when the thorns
Of life would make my mind forget.
This much I need, whatever gear
I ask God for... a comrade near
To teach me love, a friend to sit
And talk of books a little bit
And speak of folks with kindly words,
And tell the good things we have heard.
Ah, yes, this also God must send...
The quiet comfort of a friend.
This much I need, though so much more
I crave, I seek, I hunger for.
Whatever else I may desire,
I need a house, I need a fire,
A lovely rose, a sturdy tree,
And someone close to comfort me,
A bit to eat, a book to read...
Though much I ask, this much I need.
Douglas Malloch

2 comments:
All I need is this lamp...and this thermos...and these matches. And that's all I need. And this chair. I need this chair. But that's all I need.
Yes, our needs are few, but our wants are many! For example, right now I WANT for someone to come clean my house and do my grocery shopping so I can finish my book by the fireplace. Is that REALLY SO MUCH TO ASK???
Since it's not going to happen, I guess I need to get on it!
It's not the money... it's the stuuuuuufff!!
Post a Comment