Saturday, January 26, 2008

CONTENTED JOHN



One honest John Thompkins, a hedger and ditcher,

Although he was poor, did not want to be richer.

For all such vain wishes in him were prevented

By the fortunate habit of being contented.

Though cold were the weather, or dear were the food,

John was never found in a murmuring mood;

For thus he was constantly heard to declare -

What he could not prevent he would cheerfully bear.

"For why should I grumble and murmur?" he said;

"If I cannot get meat, I'll be thankful for bread;

And though fretting may make my calamities deeper,

It can never cause bread and cheese to be cheaper."

If John was afflicted with sickness or pain,

He wished himself better, but did not complain,

Nor lie down to fret in despondence and sorrow,

But said that he hoped to be better tomorrow.

If anyone wronged him or treated him ill,

Why, John was good natured and sociable still;

For he said that revenging the injury done

Would be making two rogues where there need be but one.

And thus honest John, though his station was humble,

Passed through this sad world without even a grumble;

And I wish some folks, who are greater and richer,

Would copy John Thompkins, the hedger and ditcher.

Jane Taylor 1783-1824


Jane Taylor lived for forty one years. It seems to me she picked up alot of wisdom during that time. I found this poem a few years ago in a great big scrapbook that my great grandmother, Hettie McWright Thurman kept. I inherited "Big Granny's Book" when my grandmother had to downsize and move from her home into an apartment. You'll be hearing more about Granny! Anyway, this poem struck me right off because it's so simple and straightforward. We all know (on some level) that living as John did is the way to go. Not only do others want to be around us when we are so good natured and tolerant, we like ourselves better too and therefore are happier.

At this point in my life I feel I have, for the most part, achieved John's "fortunate habit of being contented". I don't spend much time wishing for what I don't have. I have simplified my life alot, and continue to do so. Possessions are funny; we always seem to crave more, but in reality the less we have the lighter and happier we usually feel. Taking care of stuff takes so much time. Worrying about stuff and the money it takes to get and maintain it keeps us from living in the moment. No, I don't live in a tepee down by the river; I have stuff! But way less than I used to have and that has, although I couldn't have seen it would turn out this way, made me happier. I appreciate what I do have so much more now.

When it comes to my ability to "cheerfully bear", I have a ways more to go! That old standby, the Serenity Prayer, contains all the wisdom we need to deal with the circumstances and relationships we experience that can be so frustrating, maddening, and even heartbreaking. The true gift of forbearance remains just beyond my grasp! Accepting "what is" can be tough! The catch is knowing the difference between what can be changed and what cannot, and that is much easier said than done! I read recently that complaining is just a release valve that, while essentially changing nothing, lets off enough pressure that we can continue to endure that which we probably should change. I complain at times and I know it sure doesn't make "cheese any cheaper". It does probably dampen the spirits of those who have to listen though. I'm still working on that!
Thank you Jane, for your remembrance of John Thompkins; I for one want to copy him! Love, RED

2 comments:

MzJudy said...

Great stuff, Red!
I love the poem from your Big Granny's book.
Please keep on "rambling" and sharing your gifts.
May God bless you in more ways than you can count.

RED said...

Thanks mzjudy!