All goats are mischievous gate-crashers, and tresspassers. Also they possess individual character, intelligence, and capacity for affection which can only be matched by the dog. Having once become aquainted with them


I would as soon farm without a dog as without a goat.
I would as soon farm without a dog as without a goat.
Dave Mackenzie 1954
About a week after we moved in our house, I bought three yearling nanny goats. The back portion of the property was so brushy you couldn't even see the far fence. Nosy, Pansy and Posie made quick work of the back and these days they have part of my neighbor's acreage to keep them busy as well. Nosy was bottle-fed as a kid and let's just say she is named appropriately! She's into everything, afraid of nothing, and more than a little pushy! I don't think she likes males too much; she chases after the boys whenever they go out back and she reared up and butted my dad when he had the audacity to push her off the hood of his pickup! I love goats and they do add alot of personality to a place. They remind me so much of cats, and they can be just as clever. If you are not sure a fence is secure, put a goat in it and watch. If there is a weak spot, the goat will find it. I got my first goat, Dolly when I was about ten. Dolly was my best friend and the first of several goats I have had the pleasure of knowing throughout the years. I've always had a special place in my heart for goats!
About two weeks ago one of the girls from our church youth group asked me if I might want another goat. "Esteban" had not put on enough weight to make it into the Jr. Livestock show. Because he was the smallest and needed a little extra care, my young friend and her sisters had grown attatched to him. Well, my goats don't cost much to keep. Most of their diet they rustle up themselves out back so I only offer supplement feed. They take good care of themselves, and aside from a monthly worming, rarely need veterinary care. Like I said, they are alot like cats. So, really...why not? "Bring Esteban over and we'll see how it works out." Two weeks later he's happy, we're happy; it's all good. That makes four...
This afternoon we took the youth group bowling. One of my favorite kiddos asked me if I could take his goat too because he also did not make weight. I replied that I didn't think I should take another goat. I had agreed beforehand to give our friend a ride home so there really wasn't a way out of "just meeting Lil' Baby Goat" (that's his name). On the drive home he told me the little goat looks like a Dalmation so that piqued my curiosity. By the time we got to the house I was excited the see the little feller! Yeah... you probably already know the end :) He's little, he's spotted, he's cute... uhh... he's ours. He'll probably be moving in in a couple of weeks. That makes five...
There may not seem to be anything wrong with that unless you are a person that looks at trends. I know at least twenty kids that show goats each year. Most buy an extra (back up) goat who keeps the other company but after the show goat is auctioned off, well, they have an extra goat. Can you see where I'm going with this? Fast-forward ahead five years and I have thirty or forty Jr. Livestock show-reject goats living it up out back and not contributing a heck of a lot to the household! And then there were five...Oh mercy me! Love, RED

3 comments:
When you pass 20 goats, then there is a problem. On the bright side, I will be back for the summer, so you have a goatsitter! Can't wait to meet the new babies! -Sabie
Maybe I can open a show-goat- reject sanctuary and ask the public for donations! Maybe the Lone Star Country Store will sponsor me! :) RED
(I'll get you an official cap with your name embroidered on it!)
Oh, that's just funny! FIVE GOATS? I can't wait til the next bonfire to see what FIVE GOATS will eat! They are lucky goats--that's all I have to say!
Post a Comment