
You have to believe in happiness,
Or happiness never comes.
I know that a bird chirps none the less
When all that he finds is crumbs.
You have to believe the buds will blow ~
Believe in the grass in the days of snow;
Ah, that's the reason a bird can sing ~
On his darkest day he believes in Spring.
You have to believe in happiness ~
It isn't an outward thing.
The Spring never makes the song, I guess,
As much as the song the Spring.
Aye, many a heart could find content
If it saw the joy on the road it went,
The joy ahead when it had to grieve,
For the joy is there ~ but you have to believe.
Douglas Malloch
This is from a small tattered book my mother picked up this week at her church thrift store; Verses I Like ; selected by Major Edward Bowes. There is a wonderful foreward written by Theodore Roosevelt, one of my favorite presidents. It is running over with jewels of poetry and verse, which as you know, are also some of my favorite things :) Life has been busy this last week, and will doubtless be so till school finishes this month; however, I will make time to post some of these wonderful selections along with some of my favorite photos daily. Hope you enjoy! Love, RED

3 comments:
I really like that quote thingamajig. Also, is the picture from California?
I'm going to print that out and frame it!! I LOVE IT!! Especially the part about the snow and the Spring! I can totally relate to that, God KNOWS! That being said, today is a beautiful Spring day, for which I am eternally grateful. I'm going on a nice hike in the mountains with my new friend. My cup runneth over! I look forward to more pearls from your new old book! love you!
Glad yall like it... and yes, Sabie, the photo is from Cali :) You called it!
Post a Comment