Thursday, May 22, 2008

LEBH SHOMEA ~ PART V






9:26 am ~ I just got back from a bike ride! On my way to the white garage I saw another green jay but he wouldn't stay still long enough for me to get a picture. At the garage I picked a big blue bike with no gears, and set off. I decided to head out on the main road toward the highway. There was a nice breeze and the sun was still low enough in the sky that it was pleasant, but I could already tell that it will be hot later on. As I rode, I saw deer, cows, cardinals, orioles, squirrels, lots of wildflowers, AND the most perfect little grass plant ever, growing up through the pavement on the road. I stopped to take a picture as my brain fumbled for a certain line from "Desiderada" that to me, it expressed perfectly; here it is:


Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.


I love that! I rode down maybe a mile or so then turned back. When I reached the white garage, I detoured onto a caliche road that continues past the vulture palms and the old stables. It is really pretty back in there, the path being so deep in shade that it almost seemed like twilight. The little road meanders along a creek bed that, while surely a torrent at times, is now empty save brilliant emerald green grass so perfect that it almost looks like a carpet. Delicate little wildflowers dot the grass and the whole scene looks like something from a fairy tale. I half expected to see Snow White come by gathering the little flowers :) As I stood there trying to balance on my bike admiring the little glade a movement across the creek bed caught my eye. It was a BOBCAT! I was so thrilled I could hardly believe my eyes! I have never seen any species of cat in the wild much less the notoriously shy bobcat! As quickly as I had spotted it, it was gone! And to think I was going to have to keep this news to myself! I continued on a little farther and then stopped again. I must have stood a full minute before I realized there were deer, lots of them, loafing in the shady brush. It's amazing how invisible they are until your eye picks them out, like those hidden pictures in kids' magazines.


Once back by the garage, I decide to circle by the office and see about settling up so I won't have to worry about it tomorrow, on Sunday, when the Vespers service is after breakfast. It was open, so I cruised back to my dwelling and fetched my wallet. Back at the office I parked my bike in a giant stand of oleanders and started up the porch, where Father Kelly and I met, me coming and he going. He said "Hello," which encouraged me (as I used to tell my boys ) "to use my words." :) "I thought I would settle up with you today instead of tomorrow, if that would be convenient," I said a little uncertainly. He made a little bow indicating I should precede him into the small office on the left. He is tall, bookish, and courtly with a soft, measured voice and very direct gaze which I had also noticed this morning at Vespers. We sat down and he asked my name. "Ah, here you are..." he said as he found my name in the small ledger. "Let's see... two nights; that will be $84." I made out my check for $90 and told him maybe they could buy a bag of corn for the deer and turkeys with the extra (if that will buy a bag of corn nowadays :) He smiled.

"About this evening," I said, "I would like to take a bike ride after supper, but last night the white garage was already closed when I got there. May I go and get a bike before supper and set it by my dwelling?"

"There is no need. The door will be closed, but not locked. You are welcome to let yourself in and get your bike; only please close the door while you are out. Bats and raccoons," he said.

"Because raccoons WILL steal bikes," I said, with the straightest face I could muster :)

"I don't know about that, but they WILL nest in the garage." His tone was matter-of-fact, his face was straight too, but his eyes were twinkling!

"Thank you, Father." I made a little bow of my own, then returned to my bike, smiling.

4 comments:

Blogger Barbie said...

WOW! All that AND a bobcat sighting! I love it that you were cheeky with the father...figures that one of the first things you say to someone else is funny! I'm sad that you're leaving this little spot....I feel like it'a a book that I don't want to end, you know? love it and you! b

RED said...

it's not ending yet ~ LOL ~ I have four or five more installments... this is the last week of school... if I can just make it thru I'll get the rest posted and we can MOVE ON :)

Sabie said...

Haaa, I am with B, I don't want this to end just yet.

Sabie said...

Just checking to see if I can still comment.